Workers Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island

Assessments & Treatment

To reduce the impact of workplace injury and illness, the WCB will provide workers with the assessments and treatments necessary to promote recovery and return to work. This may include, but is not limited to:
  • Chiropractic Services
  • Physiotherapy
  • Acupuncture
All treatments must be pre-approved by the WCB.

Chiropractic Services - Chiropractors are considered primary care providers and can be selected by workers as their principal provider of care for the acute phase of a work-related injury. Chiropractic care may also be provided if referred by a physician. The WCB may approve up to four consecutive weeks of chiropractic treatment for an injury or illness.

Physiotherapy - Physiotherapy treatment may be approved for the acute phase of a work-related injury, if referred by a treating physician. Physiotherapists are also engaged by the WCB to conduct assessments such as Functional Capacity Evaluations, Fitness for Work Assessments, and Functional Scans.

Acupuncture - Treatment may be approved if a referral is made by the treating physician or chiropractor, in combination with other approved medical treatments. Acupuncture treatment must be provided by a health care provider licensed by a recognized licensing and regulating body to practice in PEI.

Fees for health care services are based on the established agreements between the WCB and the health care providers. Please note that it is not permitted to charge the worker additional fees above those that are reimbursed by the WCB and requests for payment must be received by the WCB within six (6) months from the date of service.

The WCB may consider approval of out-of-province treatment when the required treatment is not available in Prince Edward Island or the worker's primary residence is in another province.

If you would like more information, please refer to the WCB policies on health care services or contact our office. Our Client Services staff are available to assist you. Information about reporting requirements can be found in the reporting section of this website.