Workers Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island


Assessments are paid as an annual lump sum, through semi-annual billing, or with our monthly assessment payment option. Payments can be made:
  • Through our Online Services and choosing Employer Assessment Payment option.
  • At any chartered bank or credit union, either in person or with online banking,
  • By cheque, cash, Interac, credit card (by phone) or at the WCB office:

    902-368-5680 or toll-free 1-800-237-5049 in Atlantic Canada

    Mail and In Person
    Workers Compensation Board of PEI
    Employer Services
    14 Weymouth Street
    PO Box 757
    Charlottetown PE C1A 7L7

To avoid penalties for non-payment, please pay your assessment by the due date. Assessments are due 30 days from the date of your statement.

You do not need to wait for your Statement of Account to find out your account balance, This information is available to you any time in the Employer Account Status option from our Online Services.

Annual Lump Sum Payment Option

You will receive an annual statement of account after registration or renewal, detailing your assessment and the amount payable. Please submit payment in full, within 30 days from the statement date.

You may choose to pay your bill in installments throughout the year, however, outstanding balances are subject to service charges at a rate of 1.5% per month on any overdue balance.

Semi-annual Billing/Payment

If you file an annual payroll estimate with your registration renewal prior to the deadline of February 28, and your assessment is $1000 or more, you automatically qualify to have your assessment divided into two equal billings.

The first half of the billing is processed upon filing of the payroll estimate. The second half is processed in August of the current year.

Monthly Assessment Payment Option

The WCB offers a voluntary monthly assessment payment option (MAPO) for filing and payment of assessments.

If you choose to participate in the MAPO program,
  • Your premiums will be based on your actual monthly payroll.
  • Payments are made monthly.
  • There is no need to estimate your payroll as part of the registration renewal process.
Each month, MAPO employers are required to file the amount of their previous month's payroll, together with the required assessment payment. Remittance forms are mailed to employers each month for this purpose. MAPO Remittances can be filed using our Online Services.

You can enroll in the MAPO program via our Online Services. You can also sign up for the MAPO program by completing the Monthly Assessment Payment Option (MAPO) application form ES-05 and submitting it to the WCB Office.

You can learn more about the MAPO program in the Monthly Assessment Payment Option - Frequently Asked Questions, or by contacting us. Our Employer Services staff are available to answer your questions.

More information about assessment payments is available in the Information for Employers booklet and in the WCB's employer services policies.

If you have questions about assessment payments, or if you would like a copy of one of our publications, please contact us.

Account Statements

  • Assessment Rate Statements - Each year in January, you will be advised of your assessment rate for the upcoming year.
  • Account Balance Statement - After you register or renew your registration, we will send a statement to you with the assessment amount payable. You can view your account balance at any time using the WCB's Online Services.
  • Monthly Assessment Statements - If you are participating in the Monthly Assessment Payment Option, you will receive a statement of account on a monthly basis.
  • Cost of Claims Reports - The WCB will provide a monthly report to show you the costs of your injured workers' claims. This report will be sent to you when there are active costs associated with your account. You can also view your report via the Cost of Claims Report in our Online Services.

Information by Request

Clearance Letters - You should request a clearance letter to confirm that your contractors and subcontractors have WCB coverage.

You can also request a clearance letter to confirm your own WCB coverage.

Clearance letters can be requested through our Online Services or by contacting WCB Employer Services.

If you would like more information about your account, please contact us.