Workers Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island


The WCB is committed to making fair and objective decisions that comply with policy and legislation. In the event a worker or employer disagrees with a WCB decision, the initial step in the appeal process is called internal reconsideration.

You are encouraged to contact the staff person at the WCB who made the decision, if you do not understand or agree with their decision. Most concerns can be resolved this way. If the matter is not resolved, a written request for internal reconsideration can be made.

Requests for internal reconsideration may be submitted for decisions related to:
  • A worker's claim.
  • An employer's assessments and classification.
Internal reconsideration requests can be made by a person who has a direct interest in the decision in question.

Requests for internal reconsideration must be submitted to the WCB, in writing, within 90 days of the date of the decision.

To request reconsideration of a decision, complete the Request For Internal Reconsideration form and submit it to the WCB.

More information about the WCB Internal Reconsideration process is available here: If you have any questions, or would like copies of the forms or publications, please contact:
Internal Reconsideration Office


902-368-5680 or toll-free 1-800-237-5049 in Atlantic Canada

If you disagree with a decision made in the Internal Reconsideration process, you can file an appeal with the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT). More information about the WCAT appeal process is available on the WCAT website.

Access to Information

Workers can contact us to request a copy of their claim file. Workers can also authorize the release of their claim information to a representative by completing the form, Worker's Authorization for Communication and Representative.

Employers are entitled access to claim information relevant to the reconsideration issue, and can request this information using the form, Employer's Request for Worker Claim File and Authorization.

Employers may request assessment or classification information from their employer file in writing to the WCB Employer Services at or by telephone at 902-368-5680.

Click here to learn more about the WCB's policies on access to information.

Assistance with Appeals

If you have questions or need assistance with your appeal, please contact us. The PEI Department of Workforce, Advanced Learning and Population has a Worker Advisor and an Employer Advisor who provide free services to help you with your appeal.